<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d36329712\x26blogName\x3dWriting+Aspirations\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://writingaspirations.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://writingaspirations.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3425846030561062794', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

13 signs that you might be an aspiring writer.

Thursday Thirteen Edition #74 01/03/2007
Rashenbo Edition #5

I'm an aspiring writer and I thought for this week's 13 I'd come up with a few of the little signs that identify an aspiring writer.

1. NaNoWriMo: You know what this is, what it means, and when it happens. You also save up sick or vacation time so that you can properly participate.
2. You have nightmares of a literary agent calling you a nitwit and swinging a giant bat that leaves an imprint of "show don't tell" on your forehead.
3. You dream about literary agents.
4. You find yourself googling the oddest things to research for your novel... like "does a giant anteater smell musky?" Yup, that's one of the things I googled today, how bout you?
5. You find yourself lurking on writing forums and websites like Miss Snark, Absolute Write, Backspace, Writing.com, TheNextBigWriter, Writer Beware... and about half a dozen others.
6. Not only do you know the difference between passive and active voice, but you find yourself debating in the forums about the role of the "to be" verbs. You find it fun and exhilarating. Your friends think it's sad.
7. You find yourself counting how many "was" "had" and other "to be" verbs are in the current book you are reading.
8. You think the Alpha Smart is really cool and you just KNOW that it would like, totally help you write more.
9. You can't wait to write your first query letter, synopsis, etc. In fact, you've already got a couple written, even though you aren't done with your manuscript yet. You know this is a no-no and you have it ready anyway.
10. Instead of a list of favorite celebrities you'd like to meet one day, you've got a "my most desired literary agent" list. You regularly check agent websites and agent query to update your list.
11. You find yourself constantly playing "what if" and developing story ideas.
12. You look at a beautiful sunrise and your first thought is, "hmmm, what words would I use to describe this in my story."
13. You've got half a dozen books on how to write books sitting on your bookshelf... and you've read each one.


Labels: , ,

43 Comments:

Anonymous Janet said...

LOL, so I'm definitely not a writer!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Uh-oh. I only fit about half of these... Although the Nitwit comment had me howling, not just laughing out loud. Hope I didn't wake the kids...

I shall get on the half I don't fit post haste. Maybe that's what I need to change my publishing karma.

9:18 PM  
Blogger kooky kay said...

I am not one then. The only one I know was NaNoWriMo and only because I participated in the NaBloPoMo.

Lol! I'm up!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Talia Mana, Centre for Emotional Well-Being said...

You can relax Susan! I only ticked 3 out of 13 and I'm published ROFL

9:41 PM  
Blogger Rashenbo said...

Hehehe... well... maybe this list only applies to me! :D

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Laughing Muse said...

I participated in NaNoWriMo once, but don't know that I'll do so again. Too much pressure to do a first draft.

...and I clicked through to the AlphaSmart. I read "Neo is teacher-friendly...Neo is user-friendly...Neo is affordable". Yesterday I took a "which superhero are you" quiz and the result was...Neo. I just started giggling, seeing a confused Neo, a peeved Trinity, and a stereotypical suburban grandma-teacher figure.

My brain really needs to just calm the heck down..

9:50 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

lol I am not a writer either...
I did not even know the wrote books on how to write books..lol
My TT is up 2
Happy Thursday!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous alyndabear said...

This was a great TT topic! Sadly I do not think I have it cut out to be a writer, as much as I would love to be one.

Sounds like you're well on your way! ;)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mikala said...

Yeah, I'm not a writer either. I think I'm a talker. :0)

Happy TT!!

10:17 PM  
Blogger scribbit said...

What does this list mean about my aspirations? I love the writing, hate the marketing. That's why a blog is perfect for me--no editors, no agents, no marketing. Just writing. My favorite.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Missy said...

Love this list! I have nightmares about famous authors shouting "show don't tell" at me. ;)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Desert Songbird said...

Well, I can't claim most of these, maybe because I'm a magazine article writer (but I'd rather be a short story writer). I don't have the patience to write a novel.

I can and do relate to the fact that I argue with people about grammar, and I find myself correcting others on their grammar (under my breath) while we are conversing. Sigh -- don't want to be rude, especially when one of them is my kid's teacher!

I do have many books on writing on my book shelves, most of them testimony to my English major in college.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Good luck with the book - I find blogging takes all I have, so I'm impressed you can do both.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Angelo said...

I guess, I'm not a writer :)... did you ever find out if a giant anteater smells musky? Happy T13!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Renee said...

LOL--I love to read, but don't fit anything as a writer.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Racy Li said...

You forgot Evil Editor! And Pub Rants! And Anna Louise!

I'm getting published and I still have Miss Snark nightmares :)

11:21 PM  
Anonymous scooper said...

Great TT. It's scary that we think so much sometimes.

11:23 PM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

I have a secret desire to be a novelist...it's in there, I just have to find the way to get it out!!

Happy TT!!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Incog & Nito said...

I'm no writer, but good luck to you!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

Loved your list, and I related to more than a few of these. #3 made me LOL because while the Crapometer was going on, I dreamed about Miss Snark and hooks. :)

Happy TT, and mine's up!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Definitely NOT a writer here, either. I didn't even know what # 1 is!

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by!

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

Shudders at the whole NaNoWrMo concept.

Happy TT

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Cheryl said...

I am an aspiring writer though I am not yet to the point of archiving the "milestones" on your list! I have a hard time getting off the starting blocks. :)

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Cheryl said...

...that is achieving. Yes, it's 5:30 in the morning here. LOL

6:26 AM  
Blogger ChupieandJ'smama said...

You sound very passionate about writing. I wish all the luck in the world in your endeavor. I hope you get the literary agent of your dreams. Thanks for visiting and happy TT!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

If your friends can't relate to this, then be very glad you have a blog! I'm certainly glad you have ...

Hope the new year is a very good one for you.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Sophisticated Writer said...

So true. Oh, so true.

It takes another aspiring writer to know one :)

Happy TT!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Rashenbo said...

Laughing Muse, I love those little super hero quiz's. I took one the other day and it said I was wonder woman. *chink* *chink* go my little bracers of might.

Scribbit, you must already be a writer then - not an aspiring one :D To each his own and we all have an avenue to release the little artistic beast inside.

Angelo, you know... I sure didn't. You see... in my novel there is a scene where the group come across a dead giant anteater and I wanted to properly describe the scene and that would include painting that smell so that my reader would have a realistic impression of what the characters were facing... I guess I get to make it up :D

Racy Li, DOH! Yes, how could I forget those others... naturally I visit evil editor and pub rants ALL the TIME.

Thank you all for visiting I always appreciate hearing from you! :D

8:18 AM  
Blogger Wylie Kinson said...

*LOL*!! What a terrific list. My personal fave is #4. I just googled the recipe for Grog and names of Syrian ships in the 1700's... Wonder if the Google Gods are having a good laugh.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, dear, I'm guilty of several of these! :-) Happy TT!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Angela/SciFiChick said...

Too funny! Great list!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I fnd myself doing a lot of these, especially nubmer four. And those facts stick with you forever! And number 13 is so true. And more than a little scary. :)

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Caryle said...

I have no idea what you're talking about, so what if I participted in NaNoWriMo, berate myself for telling not showing, google insane things, visit Miss Snark every day, debate about writing in first vs. third person while I'm working on my book, and secretly covet an Alpha Smart.

Nope, I have no idea. ;-)

Thanks for dropping by earlier! It's nice to meet you, too.

12:43 PM  
Blogger N. Mallory said...

I have way more than half a dozen writing books on my shelf...AND I finished NaNoWriMo once.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

My older sister has an Alpha Smart Neo. I occasionally long to snatch it away because I spend far too much time doing #4 and #5. I also suffer from #1 (though I've never participated), 7 and 9-13, to some extent. And while I've never dreamt of agents, I did have a dream last night that involved lending someone one of two of my nice pens and wanting it back almost immediately because I was afraid they'd forget to return it.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous ~Kathryn~ said...

thanks for dropping by ...
i'm definately NOT a writer !!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

I often find myself trying to find words to describe a sunset, a winter landscape etc.

My 13 are up.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Uh oh. I clicked on that NEO thingy - and immediately thought "I MUST have one of these now". They are soo cool. I want one just because. (How goofy is that?)

I think I'm more a born blogger than a born formal writer but maybe there's a book in me yet.

GREAT 13! Thanks for coming by Snarkypants.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous kristarella said...

I don't have any of these but I suspect your Alpha Smart is like my MacBook, I'd love one and it would totally help me be more organised and get better marks at uni!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Sueann said...

Hey! Great TT! I am also a writer, in fact I have managed to have a Poem published. Still writing the "great American Novel"...LOL!
Thanks for posting on Sueannssilliness!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Sueann said...

Oh wait...one additional thing...I find myself listening for dangling participles...a HUGE turn off for me...wow...we are a strange breed...are we not?

7:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I would love to write, besides on my blog and web site. I often find myself proofreading work done by others! It's a habit I picked up many, many years ago, when I used to proofread ads a jewelry store made for a newspaper.

Check out my TT.

9:30 PM  
Blogger SA said...

Nice list. I identify with more than a few on that list.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home