Wish List goes on the Thursday 13!
TT Edition #70 12/07/06
So, I've got a friend (yes! I have a friend! Woot! I know I've got at least one of em!) You've probably seen her comments on my lovely ramblings. She's got a great blog and every single Thursday without fail she has this little thing called the Thursday Thirteen. I tried to resist... really I did. You see the post... so you know I failed in my resisting. Here it is, I've joined the Thursday Thirteen jubilee! (Feel free to blame Susan.)
Since I decided to start the little Secret Santa (also known as the holiday gnome, wish fairy, or whatever floats your boat) I thought that I would make a wish list... the Thursday Thirteen is a list - so here we go!
1. I wish I knew how to make the
2. I wish I had mad musical skills like my friend (I've claimed him - so there's no point in his resisting) Crushing Krisis or my other friend, Susan. Unfortunately, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, keep a melody if my life depended on it, or remember anything about a beat. I can hear a song 3 times in a row and still not recognize it within the first 4 or 5 seconds. My husband likes to test my musical knowledge all the time. He says, "who sings this?". I like to respond with: "Michael Bolton", "Cyndi Lauper" (however she spelled it) or "Michael Jackson". He just loves when I do that :D Every now and then I get lucky - usually with Nickelback, Aerosmith, Metallica, The Beatles - folks like that :)
3. I wish I knew how to teach my daughter how to understand counting by twos.
4. I wish I had more patience.
5. I wish I was a teacher.
Here's why: She's six. She's in the first grade. She's got ADD. I counted by twos for about 15 minutes. I showed her how adding 2 each time is like a pattern. She even said, "it's a pattern!" Then I gave her a work sheet of numbers 1 - 50 and said, ok, count by 2 and color all the 2's blue. It was a worksheet she was supposed to do at school and the teacher sent it home so that we could try and get her to do it. After more time (about 30 minutes) talking about 2's... I drew pictures. I drew little math problems of 2 + 2 = 4 / 4+2 = 6, etc. I wrote the list of 2's up to #30 and had her look at it and read the numbers to me.
This is how the conversation went down after our "studying":
"Pea Pie, count by 2's and color them blue. Here is the crayon and here is the worksheet."
- - "What do I do?"
"Do you remember talking about 2's?"
- - "Yes."
"Can you count by 2's for me right now?"
- - "um... no."
- - "I don't know how to count by 2's"
"Do you remember how we counted 2, 4, 6, 8"
- - "Yes."
"That's counting by twos. Find the 2s and color them blue."
- - "But there are more numbers than those ones."
"Yes. Yes there are. Can you find them for me?"
- - "Are they these ones" she points to 20, 21, 22, 23 and begins to color them all red.
= fast forward five minutes later *thud* *thud* *thud* That's my head hitting the table while she is rolling around on the floor crying about how bored she is, how she doesn't understand, and how she wants to go take a bath. Good lord - teaching children is hard work!
6. I wish my husband would send in our XBox 360 for repair so I can build up more gamer points! He can be a real slacker sometimes. :) I think our gamer profile is um, Snaggle Tuuth (A name with a real history here... we used to telnet into MUDS and then used Zmud to play text based rpg's and one of my hub's first characters was Snaggle. Then we moved to EQPC... we had the whole Tuuth family: Gappe, Sweete, Snaggle - etc. I've posted on where I got my handle. Snaggle is my husband's.)
7. I wish I had endless amounts of gift certificates to Borders, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble book stores! Mmmm, gift certificates... they are as good as donuts!
8. I wish I had a diet and exercise plan that I was actually able to follow!
9. I wish I had some new socks. I love socks. I like fuzzy ones and wool ones and knee high ones. I like ones with bright stripes. My favorites are a pair of red and whites... and then I've got this great pair with monkey faces on them... Right now I'm wearing black, white, and gray striped slipper socks with the grinch on them. What kind of socks are you wearing right now?
10. I wish I had a neat "Reviewed by Rashenbo" button that I could give to blogs I review.
11. I wish I had one of those new Civilizations games - they look neat.
12. I wish I knew what was going to happen on Heroes next... I want my own super power. Like a little magic cleaning fairy. I could squint my eyes real tight and then she'd appear and she'd dust, and vacumn, and do my dishes, and yes... she would even tackle the dreaded laundry...
13. What's a wish list without wishing for World Peas? I wish for world peas.
1. Judy 2. Susan 3. Courtney 4. Tug 5. Mikala 6. Mistress of the Dark 7. Lil Duck Duck
8. Debby 9. Jennifer 10. Colleen Gleason 11. Patent Princess 12. Goofy Girl 13. Janene
Ok, I had to grab this Mister Linky thingy because I'm too lazy to update my links :) And it looked neat on other folks blogs. I'm checking it out to see how I like it! :)