A brief look into the Cajun dictionary
My husband and his family are Cajun. His grandfather, Pop Blackey, is not doing too well. They found an aneurysm in his abdomen (and won't operate because of his age). He's a riot of an older man. I can barely understand him because he's got a thick (THICK) accent. This week was also my husband's birthday, so I thought I'd focus a little on Cajuns today. I may have already done this before... I can't recall :) So if so, here's more.
"Making fun of the way people talk is one of the oldest forms of good-natured humor. It's a combination of ridicule and respect, for we seldom tease anyone we don't like." - Cajun Dictionary
1. Abdominal: detestable, horrible
"If you don get a hair cut you gone to look like de abdominal snowman."
2. All: petroleum
"Check de all too, please."
3. Ball: to boil
"Ya'll come over tonight, we gonna ball some crawfish!"
4. Boo-dree-ox: How Rednecks & Yankees pronounce Boudreaux. (Note... our dog's name is Boudreaux!)
5. Cam: trainquil, calm
"De fish should bite, de waters cam."
6. Cooyon: stupid, dumb, also an educated fool. (Note: This is used on a regular basis in our household)
"If dem cooyon engineers don stop digging canals all over, we gonna all flood."
7. Do Do: to sleep (Note: Grammie Lina sang a do do lullaby to the chiddrens when they were young. They love the do do song.)
"It's time to make do do, I got to get up at five tomorrow."
8. Hafass: low grade, half hearted effort, inferior
"Dat's a hafass job if I ever saw one."
9. Juga Keen: Sugar Cane
"Arry time dey spray de juga keen it kills all de doves."
10. Kang: a metal container
"Pop me another kang of Bud, please."
11. Ma: possessive adjective
"Ma feet hurt!"
12. Pansil: implement used for writing
"Don't run wit dat pansil in you mouth!"
13. Q - There is no Q in the Cajun Alphabet!!!