13 ways music strikes a chord with me
1. When I'm cleaning, nothing is quite so energizing as pulling a cd out of Aerosmith's Box of Fire or one of Metallica's older jams then getting down to the nitty gritty.
2. When I'm thinking on a work project or trying to work through a difficult scene, classical or softer songs help me concentrate and think through the issue. It's usually Beethoven, Sting, or some of the older Willie songs, like Seven Spanish Angels.
3. When I want some entertainment, music brings me such shows like American Idol and Rockstar. I also enjoy going to the ballet with my mother. There is something about listening to great works like those done by Tchaikovsky and watching dancers gracefully twist and turn to the music. I can't watch it all the time, but when I'm in the mood, I'm moved by it.
4. When I'm driving I have to flip through stations until I find a song I can sing along with. I often skip the radio hosts. The ones we have up in Minnesota aren't very good.
5. I used to love listening to Dirty Mike, he had a great relationship with the radio station in New Mexico, and it was more fun listening to him on that station than the one up here.
6. Some songs are just great to get creativity going, they don't make me think, it's just as if they help open the flood gate. Bob Marley's Redemption, Metallica Nothing Else Matters, Tom Petty's Last Dance with Mary Jane, Gnarls Barkley Crazy, Five For Fighting Superman, Foo Fighters Everlong... Hmm, I guess I have a lot of them because I can keep going. I guess these songs just stimulate me.
7. When I'm writing I have to have a shuffled playlist going. I listen to all of the above and more!
8. When my husband proposed to me, we had gone for a drive and it was quite late. As he popped the question, Not enough hours in the night played on the radio. It is our song.
9. I've got many movie soundtrack favorites, but I've got a special spot in my heart for the Princess Bride soundtrack. Not only do I love that movie, but we used it as the music during our actual wedding.
10. When Pea Pie was 4 she gave a rousing performance of Kung Foo Fighting, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard and I didn't realize she had learned so much of the song.
11. My mother plays about 10 different instruments. When she was young she auditioned to be a concert violinist. She played good enough to get in, but was told she lacked the confidence to be a professional violinist. I suck at the violin.
12. My children have inherited a bit of the music bug. The heir apparent (9) plays the piano and now the Pea Pie (6) plays the guitar. A couple of weeks ago they decided they would start their own band. My heir came running up the stairs calling for their father to come and help them. She had a bit of panic to her voice so he quickly went to see what he could do. She asked him to play for them, because their band didn't sound good!
13. I can't sing or play. In fact, I think I may be a little tone deaf. But my life is filled with music and it brings me joy. I hope that music has touched your life.